Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Update from East London

My time here in East London hasn't been quite what I expected. In all honesty, I expected to be more busy than I am. I spend most of my days at the office passing the time. I have been to two schools since I arrived. And have assisted some of the staff with other projects and things that need to get done and wrapping things up for the end of the year.

Today, I met with Taryn, who works for the child welfare services. She may be my connection into more possible programs. We talked about me getting involved with the child protection dept and being involved in their child rape cases; assisting with counseling, etc. Also, having me getting involved at the maternity ward at the local hospital, and also becoming involved at their children's home, which is across the street from the YFC offices; as far as mentoring the kids, especially the teen girls. So, I feel very positive about my mtg with her.

The last week that I'm here, Taren and I are going to the maternity ward to check things out and I have a mtg with the lady in charge of the children's home tomorrow. Mike, the director for East London and Port Elizabeth, hopes to meet with me today or tomorrow. The problem is that most of the students are writing exams this week and next, so it's hard to get into the schools. Because when they are not writing they are home studying. Plus Mike is working two jobs, here and the church, so he's always on the go. Though, I'm hoping to spend part of next week in Port Elizabeth, which is about 3 hours from here along the coast line towards the west. Zandi, the lady I stayed with in the Xhosa village last time I was here in 2006, who is now the center director for PE wants me to come and spend sometime at their office and Mike and Zena are heading that direction next week anyway for a mtg, so I'm hoping to tag along and spend sometime there.

Please continue to keep my time here in your prayers. I still believe that I am here for a reason and purpose and even though it hasn't gone as I anticipated, I don't regret my time here.

Thank you for all your prayers.

No comments: